Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ruelo Patisserie


Macaron galore.

I never tried a macaroon before. The only one I knew of was the coconut one. The American version. Yuck! I hate coconut for one so coconut macaroon was not for me.

But then I discovered there was another type of macaroon. The French variation called macaron with only 1 "o". Oh my god have I been missing out.

It's not a cookie. It's something even better. Basically it's two pieces of almond meringue with a creamy filling in the centre. They are so cute and pretty. They look like a bunch of colorful oreos.

I read on Yelp that Ruelo Patisserie was on the top list for best macarons in Toronto so I decided to give it a shot.

My boyfriend picked out the 5 flavors and bought 2 of each flavor. I didn't want pairs of the same flavor but he didn't want to share lol. So doubles it was. We got balsamic vinegar, raspberry, strawberry, expresso and peppermint. I wanted to try the wasabi grapefruit but my boyfriend made a face. Since we bought quite a few already I figure it was enough for now. I didn't even know if I would like it or not so didn't want to have too much of something I disliked. I didn't even notice that the price varied between $2.25 - $3 until I looked at my picture. I thought it was quite expensive but then again I don't even know what is considered regular price. In the end, the sweet confection was worth every bite. Even my boyfriend liked it and he's not really a big fan of sweets. Only once in a blue moon he will indulge unlike me, I can eat it all day everyday. I actually wanted to eat it all in the car on the way home unfortunately my boyfriend stopped me and told me to save some for the next day knowing I will crave for sweets again. Well, he was right because the next day I finished it all.

As for the cakes there wasn't that many of a selection to choose from. Originally I wanted to try the molten chocolate cake however it took 15 minutes to prepare. We didn't want to wait so we settled on what was being offered on display.


Once again I let my boyfriend decide since the majority of the cakes had mousse and I didn't care for it. He ended up choosing one chocolate banana and one hazelnut. The chocolate banana was made of Jivara milk chocolate mousse, caramelized bananas, banana mousse and crispy praline. The hazelnut cake consisted of Jivara milk chocolate mousse, praline mousse, double crispy praline and hazelnut daquoise. Honestly I don't even know what half of it means. All I can say is it was delightful. I am not a big fan of mousse but this changed my whole perception of it. Mousse is good.


Another thing that caught my eye is that they offer afternoon tea which is like high tea I assume. For $16.99 you get to eat some macarons, scones/biscuits, some finger sandwiches and drink some tea. It sounded like a great deal. But the place is really tiny so there might be a bit of a wait. It's available on a daily basis from 2pm-6pm.

I might try that out next time when I go for my next round of colorful treats. This time I am grabbing that wasabi grapefruit.

TOTAL BILL $34...EAT HERE NEXT!!!

550 Highway 7 East, Unit C73
(Times Square)
905-762-1500

Ruelo Patisserie on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

$3 for a cookie, lol. That must be REALLY good then! They look so colourful like playDOH!

Karen Ling said...

lol guess they do but at least they will taste better than playdoh hehe

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...