Monday, February 7, 2011

Joons

It was hot! Hot! HOT!

I'm talking spicy hot.

To others like my boyfriend it will be nothing but a tickle to their taste buds but not for me. I, on the other hand, cannot handle the heat but boy do I try.

I went to Joons today for some Korean cuisine. Located right next to the busy intersection of Yonge and Sheppard we were pretty lucky to find a free parking spot right behind the restaurant.

I wanted to try the dish called HaeMool Dak Galbi. It includes boneless dark chicken meat, baby octopus, shrimp, mussels and some veggies such as sweet potato, cabbage and green onion. It is all stir fried together with some sort of chili paste sauce. There were 3 types of sauces to choose from which were non-spicy teriyaki sauce, Joons original spicy sauce and the last choice is suicidal spicy sauce which actually costed an additional 50 cents. My boyfriend chose the original sauce and let's just say when I was done my belly was scorching. I could feel it burn in my stomach. I don't even want to know how suicidal is. We also added rice cake and noodles to the mix.

Here is the food when it first arrives to our table.


Here is a picture of the food just simmering in the spicy juices. The waitress goes around to each table stirring the mixture so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.


About 10 minutes or so later they add in the noodles and here is the finished product. Finally we can dig in. It was delicious. Although it was spicy it was a tasty spicy rather than just pure heat spicy. The more I ate the more hotter it became yet at the same time the more tastier it got so even though my mouth was screaming "STOP! PLEASE STOP!" I just couldn't since it tasted so good.


Here were the accompanying side dishes. My favorite was the mashed potato. It was sweet and creamy and very refreshing on my scorched tongue. However, I didn't really like the kimchi since it was too sour for me.


One more thing the dish is served by portions that is one portion per person. The seafood one we ordered was $9.25 per portion. We ordered 2 portions which was just about perfect for me and my boyfriend, surprisingly. The add ons, rice cake and noodles, were an additional $2 each.

Overall great food although my tummy is still burning but it was worth every tear.

TOTAL BILL $26...EAT HERE NEXT!!!

Joons
4852 Yonge Street
(close to Sheppard)
416-840-0589

Joons Korean Cuisine on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another table cooking? Take me! I wanna try lol

Karen Ling said...

it's spicy...can you handle it???

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...